Stan Lee is a household name today. After his demise today, the internet is filled with homages and RIP messages. The movies based on his characters are box-office smashers. His cameos in Marvel movies has made him more famous than any comic superhero artist that had been out there. He created a universe so rich and diverse – this is a fact everyone know about him.
Well, that’s what everyone knows. But that’s not what truth is.
Read these points to re-evaluate your adulations towards Stan Lee. And you would rethink the answer to the question – Did Stan lee created Marvel.
- Though today, we credit Stan Lee for creating the Marvel Universe and refreshing the black and white telling of SuperHero stories of DC, the reality is not as straightforward as it is portrayed to be.
- If anything, he contributed, equally, if not less, in creating this universe along with talented artists and writers Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko who, in course of time, was overshadowed by more enigmatic and resourceful Stan Lee.
- At Marvels, the comics were created using the Marvel Method. That is, Stan Lee would provide a rough plot, the Artists would then add characters and details to the story. Stan Lee would pitch in with few dialogues or twists. But it was the writers job to create a rich and diverse Marvel Universe.
- As Stan Lee was the nephew of the original owner of the Marvel Studios and led the Marvel after him, he became more rich and powerful than the writers (who subsequently became poorer and broke)
- Stan Lee had a history of glorifying his past. In one instance he said he used to win so many writing competitions by a newspaper that he was asked to stop submitting anymore. On checking it was found out that he had won only once, and that too a runners-up prize.
- Like Steve Jobs, Stan Lee was good at handling media. Tall, lanky, cooky, he became a hit with the media and public. The figure of this geeky man churning out superheroes appealed to the masses. That made Marvel to further on this myth that Stan Lee created Marvel Universe.
- Stan Lee had a habit of claiming credit for everything. He was notorious for his bad memory and once claimed credit for the X Men concepts which were Cleary created by another writer. When confronted, Stan Lee agreed he was mistaken as it was long back and he might have forgotten.
- Stan Lee remembered his past through colored glasses. Many of the characters he rough sketched were unidimensional. It was the writers who created the depth for which Marvel Superheroes are known for today.
- Take Spider Man – the Marvel Superhero creation of Steve Ditko – Who he is? Hardly known? Is he credited for creating Spider Man? Hardly? Who is credited instead? I’m sure you have guessed it … Stan Lee.
- ‘Who would read a spider and insect hero?’ Stand lee is rumoured to have said when Ditko introduced Spider Man character concept to him. Well, as we know, almost everyone.
Find the link below of the BBC Documentary on the role of Steve Ditko in creating Spider Man – the character often associated with Stan Lee